Last Minute Panic

8 Dec

Baxer at the hotel

Baxter relaxing in our one-bedroom suite

Lulu at the hotel

Lulu camouflaged on the chair of our hotel suite.

We are leaving bright and early tomorrow morning for Dulles Airport but I’m full of apprehension about whether our kitties will be allowed to fly. After all the paper work I’ve waded through concerning traveling with pets to Israel, all the tests I’ve subjected the kitties to. All the visits to the vet. All the forms filled in triplicate. It seems I’ve failed to jump through all the right hoops after all.

One of my instructions was to fax Baxter and Lulu’s health certificates and flight details to Ben Gurion airport 48 hours in advance. That’s what JoAnn and I spent all Monday morning doing.

Another detail was to get the stamp of approval from the USDA vet in Annapolis. I schlepped out there this morning. The vet scrutinized my paperwork and said it all looked in order…yet there were two details he was concerned about. First detail: did you fax the info to Israel. Yes, yes, I did. I faxed it to the number his office had given me. It was the same number given to me by Dr. Shlomo Garazai, the Chief Import/Export Veterinary Officer for the State of Israel. The other item was the result of the rabies titer. The USDA vet said the kitties’ titer values were below the minimum requirements. He told me the Israelis may or may not allow the cats to enter. I sat there in his office for a few minutes in utter misery. Then I realized he had made a mistake. In looking at the titer results he had dropped a decimal point. In fact, the test results were good! Yay!

Then I went back the hotel and decided to make one last call to Continental to confirm the kitties’ reservations. It was then that I discovered that Continental requires you to fax to a different number at Ben Gurion airport. And they also require a fax sent to the cargo facility in Virginia. Three days in advance. Back to my state of misery. I was back and forth on the phone with Continental trying to sort this mess out. Some of the people I spoke to were nice and friendly. Some were downright rude. One person actually scolded me. Oh dear. Get me out of this nightmare!

JoAnn came to the rescue and helped me scan and fax the forms to the cargo facility in Virginia. We tried faxing to Israel but the faxes wouldn’t go through. After all it was 3 a.m. there. Finally, I was advised to call the airport in Israel to make sure they will allow the cats to enter the country. That’s why I’m up so late. 12:30 a.m. here is 7:30 a.m. in Tel Aviv. That’s when the animal import office at the airport opens.

Wish me luck!


3 Responses to “Last Minute Panic”

  1. Domenica December 8, 2010 at 6:29 am #

    oh Lenora, what a nightmare. I have fingers and toes crossed for you and the kitties.

  2. 'Cenzo December 9, 2010 at 4:06 pm #

    Good luck!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: